steam, wool, and silk

This e-mail requests assistance to locate anecdotal reports and published
research on effects of steam (or very warm humid air) on jute and cotton
threads, and dyed wool and silk textiles.

Specifically, I am trying to characterize conditions of temperature
and relative humidity that would cause rapid, catastrophic embrittlement
of fibers and loss of color.

A parallel search of CHIN and archives for Texcons and the ConsDist is
underway.

With thanks,

Jamie

James Martin

Research Scientist in Chemistry
Williams College
james_martin.tripod.com/williams.htm

*** Please don't send e-mail attachments.  Cut-and-paste text into the
body of an e-mail message. ***