Re: Subcribing/Unsubscribing to TEXCONS and HELP

There has been an onslaught of junk mail to TEXCONS lately which is
annoying to everyone.  The reality is that TEXCONS is an unmoderated list
and anyone who wishes to SPAM this list can easily do so.  Replying to
"REMOVE" when you receive an unwanted email usually sends it back to
everyone on TEXCONS and not to the sender.  I now delete any messages
(without reading) which I do not clearly recognize the sender or which
have a subject that is not clearly recognized as a Textile Conservation
question.  Perhaps as members of TEXCONS we should clearly identify our
queries as a recognizable Textile Conservation subject so that the list
members can distinguish between legitimate discussion and junk.

TEXCONS is a free list, monitored by volunteers, David Bridge, Mary
Ballard and Gail Niinimaa.  None of us are able to serve as a moderator
which is what Walter Henry does for the ConsDistList.  The software which
we use is MAJORDOMO which is very old and has its own weaknesses, there
is some thought of trying to upgrade that, but so far we have been unable
to do that.

The discussion list is supported by the "majordomo" software. To learn
more about the majordomo commands, send a message to:
majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in the body of the message enter:  HELP

I thank everyone for their patience, the discussion which happens on this
list is valuable and interesting, if we could eliminate the junkmail we
would all be much happier I'm sure.   Gail Niinimaa