Re: removal of oil and soot

Joanne Hackett's advice provides an excellent primer for the removal of
sooty, oily stains.  I would add that when considering dry-cleaning as an
option for textiles sturdy enough to withstand the process, one should
consider both the polarity and the aggressiveness of the solvent (generally
measured by its kb value). The dry cleaning industry has recently become
more interested in testing an array of new solvents - and machinery -
designed to replace the class of chlorinated organic solvents (particularly
perchloroethylene) that has dominated commercial use since before WW II.
Because the cost of new machinery is very expensive, however,  most
dry-cleaners will have access to only one of several commercially available
solvents.  Conservators interested in working with a dry-cleaner who is
interested in conservation cleaning should ask about the type of solvent
used and inquire about less aggressive alternatives for dry-cleaning
delicate and historic textiles when that methodology is called for.

Jonathan Scheer
J. Scheer & Co. conservation dry-cleaners