Re: paper punch sampler

Mr. Evans--Mourning samplers are typically from the early decades (1800-1820) of the 19th century, but I have always thought of paper punch samplers as later,  towards the Victorian period. Mourning pictures do, sometimes, have paper components. These can have extrinsic value--matched by the fragility of the paper and silk. While you are going about researching the sampler, I would urge you to photograph it, or have someone come to your home to photograph it. A photograph along with a description of the textile and its dimensions could be sent to Ms. Elizabeth A. Coleman, Curator of Textiles and Costumes, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave., Boston MA 02115; to Mrs. Doris Bowman, Department of Textiles MRC 617, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. 20560-0617. The Sherburne Museum, the American Textile History Museum (now in Lowell, MA) ought to be able to provide some assistance as well. You probably should NOT try to unfra!
me the sampler, nor to put it in your car to transport to a museum. I would be happy to send you the list of 67 books on samplers held by the Smithsonian, if you want to research the piece through your local library or university--if you can give me a postal address. Sincerely yours, Mary W. Ballard, Senior Textiles Conservator, SCMRE

>>> revans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/23/01 04:01PM >>>
My wife and I recently uncovered a sampler with the phrase "we mourn our
loss" and a willow tree. Where can we find more information on this item?

Thank you for your assistance.

Ric Evans
Lyman Maine