Re: Refrigerated Storage

To textile discussion list participants: For another point of view, I forwarded the inquiry about refrigerated storage to the co-editor of Storage of Natural History Collections: A Preventive Conservation Approach ((Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, 1995). With permission, here is her reply:

Frankly, I think cold storage should be used only when its efficacy for
particular objects has been clearly demonstrated. I do not doubt for a minute
that it works well for film-based materials and for color images in
photography, because all of the considerable research seems to support this.
It also works well for material that is preserved in alcohol, provided the
material has never been fixed in some other substance. Again, this is based
on some very solid evidence.

There is evidence that it is NOT a good idea for skin and furs (see Hawks,
C., S. Williams, and J. Gardner. 1984. The Care of Tanned Skins in Mammal
Research Collections. Museology 6. Texas Tech University Press, Lubbock. 32
pp.; and Pool, M. 1997. Preliminary analysis of the effect of cold storage on
fur garments and mammal skins. Collection Forum 13(1):35-39).

I suspect that there are other categories of materials that would suffer more
harm than good from cold storage. Also, there is always the problem of
bringing material out of cold storage and into warmer environments without
damage, even when cold storage is warranted. It is amazing how readily people
forget that this matters, especially when pushed for immediate access to an
item.

What was the initial purpose of this cold storage, anyway? Was it somehow a
magic bullet for 'preservation' or was it perceived as pest control (the
latter, as we both know, might have simply produced some really temperature
resistant bugs, depending upon how cold the storage actually was).

Cathy

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
2419 Barbour Road