RE: Refrigerated Storage

Dear Beatrice,
You may want to have a look at Stefan Michalski's (Canadian Conservation
Institute) articles on temperature and humidity.  One in particular talks
about the rate of chemical deterioration, "All the temperature studies of
chemical deterioration in museum objects show that rate is halved each time
the temperature drops about 5 degrees C." (Stefan Michalski, "Temperature
and Relative Humidity: The Definition of Correct/Incorrect Values", CCI,
Symposio 92, Madrid).  Lowering the storage room temperature (even a few
degrees lower than 22'C) is a good idea but if people are working in that
space their comfort also needs to be consdidered.

I'm not sure how cold you are thinking when you say "cold storage" because
there are some materials that should not be put into very cold environments
(eg. glass and some painted artifacts and others).  Generally textiles are
safe in cold or cool environments and some plastics and rubber materials
really do benefit from lower temperatures, as they are often on a faster
track of deterioration.

Other considerations might include having an acclimitization space if the
cold storage room is very cold.  (Again, Stefan Michalski has written about
this "Retrieval from Cold Storage", Report No. EDR 1612).

Shirley

Please note NEW area code of 780
Shirley Ellis, MAC, CAPC
FSO/Conservator