Re: archaeological textiles

1) I realize that one must look critically at every case but if deemed suitable
for wet-cleaning what is considered acceptable treatment practice?  For
instance, I have found little reference to vacuuming if the textile is dry
prior to treatment, and wondered if this is because there may be some loss
of the "evidence of use".  On the other hand, wouldn't cleaning remove that
and the degraded fibres?  Can someone please enlighten me?
 Shirley--It may be that the textile is "clean" but the conservator wants to a) remove watersoluble degradation products ("Coptic textile beige") and b) get the textile on the upper side of the hysteresis curve to make it more pliable for mounting. An attempt to raise the moisture content (and hence flexibility) was the purpose in use of humectants like glycerin (glycerol)

2)...Those that use glycerol (percentages vary
from 10% to 50%), PEG, rinse with increasing concentrations of solvents, air
drying, freeze drying, etc.
Shirley--You might want to correlate your citations to the decade as well as to formulations used "waterlogged wood."  I found Judy Logan's article on polyethylene oxide very interesting reading!

Mary