-----Original Message-----
From: owner-texcons@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-texcons@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Karin von Lerber, Prevart GmbH
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 3:22 AM
To: texcons@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: archaeological textiles

Dear Shirley,
I cannot tell you what a generally accepted treatment would be - and I guess
nobody can. I can, however, refer you to Elizabeth Peacock, who has lately
(November 2000, Amsterdam, "Conservation of Archaeological Textiles")
presented a very interesting paper on the effect of the drying method onto
the physical proberties of archaeological textiles. Her results showed, that
air-drying resulted in a much stiffer (and fragile) textile than
freeze-drying (which was best) or solvent-drying. The latter has the
disadvantage of removing remaining fat in the fibres, but might - depending
on the case and the possibilities at the given moment - be an alternative.
I know that Elizabeth Peacock does a lot of research in this domain. You
might want to contact her directly:

Elizabeth Peacock
Institute of Archaeology and Cultural History
Norwegian University of Science
N-7491 Trondheim, Norway
elizabeth.peacock@xxxxxxxxxx
phone: +47 73 592163
fax      +47 73 592238

Unfortunately the papers delivered in Amsterdam will not be published.
Eventually there will be a compliation of the abstracts. But I am sure,
Elisabeth Peacock is going to publish her results sooner or later somewhere.

As far as my own experience is concerned, I am much more careful about
choosing wet-treatments than say 10 years ago. I *always* do vacuum-cleaning
with a very gentle aspirator with a pipette as "head". Like this I can
controll to leave signs of use on the fabric but remove dust and fibre
debris. (This, of course, for dry archaeological textiles!)

I hope that this is helpful. Sincerely,

Karin von Lerber

Prevart GmbH
Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung