Re: Doll storage

----- Original Message -----
From: <J2Hammond@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Doll storage

Concerning the doll storage problem.
When I was working with the state of IN. collection we had a fairly large
complex set of dolls in a limited space.
Jerry's idea doesn't sound bad, so I included it at the end.

I found it best to:
1) sort the containers / boxes by decade then like components off-gased
together.
2) insert loose cotton batting instead of board.  Its padding and also an
adsorbent that attracts fumes.
3) I researched carbon filters but the chemist agree the air has to pass
through the filter to work effectively but in another situation I added a
layer of carbon filter cloth wherever we could afford it.  It is an
adsorbent also.
4)  For the flexible plastics if long-term storage is a possibility I would
consider the barrier film bags.
I would open the cabinets occasionally and my nose can verify the fume
contaminants. The off gasing is most noticeable in the 1930's -1950's
plastic dolls.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Hein
F.I.T. Costume & Leather grad.