archaeological textiles

I have been looking into the treatment practices for archaeological textiles
(from wet or dry sites) and am left wondering "just what is considered
acceptable practice"?  I have come across those that say do not use
detergents and those that do.  Those that use glycerol (percentages vary
from 10% to 50%), PEG, rinse with increasing concentrations of solvents, air
drying, freeze drying, etc.

I realize that one must look critically at every case but if deemed suitable
for wet-cleaning what is considered acceptable treatment practice?  For
instance, I have found little reference to vacuuming if the textile is dry
prior to treatment, and wondered if this is because there may be some loss
of the "evidence of use".  On the other hand, wouldn't cleaning remove that
and the degraded fibres?  Can someone please enlighten me?

Shirley

Please note NEW area code of 780
Shirley Ellis, MAC, CAPC
FSO/Conservator