online/offline

Karin von Lerber, Prevart GmbH wrote:

>   Dear colleagues,thanks a lot for all your fast and efficient help
> on- and offline.

Dear  colleagues,
Again I am reminded that people find it necessary to react off-line.
What have we all missed? I find this strange for a discussion list, the
objective being to exchange information for the greater good of the
whole group. Could some one please explain why they react off-line? Is
it due to being uncertain or being afraid of criticism?

In the lively discussion which Susan Mathisen and I had in 1999, which
was triggered by my passionate reaction to the the Dickensian
description of work conditions for the biggest Stars&stripes flag
project, we both received many comments off-line. I checked with her
because I was surprised by the bitchiness in some cases and in others
was disappointed that supportive comments could not lend public weight
to my (and her) arguments and ideas.

How can subscribers be encouraged to be keep discussions public?

Jenny Barnett
Andelos Textielrestauratie
Oude Looiersstraat 65-67
1016 VH Amsterdam