moths and drycleaning

I have had the misfortune to work with perchloroethyelene, the most common dry cleaning solvent now in use. It is quite amazing in its aggressive ability to "cut" and remove oils. I believe it also hydrophilic, even when not "charged" with a soap solution before use, although I can't make a measured comparison . A quick, light contact with perch will definitely "dry" the skin of the hands. Perc is also suspected of being a carcinogen, although that's a very convoluted (and emotionally twisted) way to kill a moth.

I'd be fairly certain that perc alone would kill moth eggs, but I'm not as certain of petroleum solvents (Stoddart Solvent, "varsol", Exxon 2000, etc.) or any of the newer more modern solvents (supercritical CO2, rynex, etc.). As David points out, the heat and agitation of the drying process might also provide an effective kill, but garments cleaned in non perc solvents need not be dried with heat, though they usually are to reclaim the solvent. All garments cleaned in perc must be cleaned and dried in a sealed machine by law.

js