Re: online/offline

         Jenny -- not knowing what your off-line discussions were, this may
not be the answer you are looking for.
       Some persons are very private and prefer conversing directly with
intended party. Others who offer advice may feel although it's effective
and legitimate, it may be less than those standards set or recognized by
the professional field and are therefore hesitant to speak publicly.
      I have had similar experiences  though not from this list, and have
come to accept the fact that there are many forms of communication.
Therefore if I ask, my answers may come in different packaging.
     I do agree with you that back-and-forth commentary is needed as a
learning tool and a way to hear different viewpoints. But probably as long
as a list is professional, especially a scientific list like this one,
encouragement of online disussion might be one of difficult persuasion or
acceptance.