Drycleaning inpetroleum solvent

Michael Marendy gives excellent advice. The "charge" usually used in perc will always leave some residue (NVR=non volatile residue = gunk!) When a poor dry cleaner is not on top of their processes, this is the cause of the "greying" of some garments. The residue left behind is really disgusting (we used charged perc when cleaning the linings of fur garments, and I had to scrape clean the spray booths and clean the guns- nasty stuff!)

As no one else has mentioned it yet, I should point out that cleaning in petroleum solvent (family includes: Stoddard solvent, Varsol, Esso 2000?) is an attractive option, if you can find a cleaner who uses it. Petroleum solvents are less aggressive grease cutters, but also are unlikely to melt plastic beads or trim (on wedding gowns).

Most importantly, we have all our gowns lightly "extracted" (spun), and then hung to air dry. Note that Perc cleaning must (by most laws, nowadays) be processed in an enclosed machine until thoroughly dry (perc is believed to be nasty stuff). Most (all?) of the new perc machines have sensors and interlocks that prevent them from opening until perc is down to very low levels.

Although there are some new petroleum machines out there, many plants (pre 1950's!) still exist using petroleum in open, gentle acting drums and manually transferring garments to a large centrifugal spinner. Check with your local dry cleaning "council" or trade group office, or ask a local supplier of dry cleaning chemicals if any of these cleaners are local. Toronto has about six, still! another hint: these folks often specialize in treating fire damaged goods, or advertise "Green Cleaning".

I also see no reason why a small garment couldn't be done "at home" (under controlled circumstances, of course). I think there is literature out there describing the procedure.

Great discussion! Anybody out there have more thoughts on "breathing plastics"? Thanks to those who responded to my query!

js
Jerry Shiner
Object & Textile Conservation Services Ltd. O/A
Keepsafe Systems & Forever Yours Gown Bridal Preservation
Visit www.gowncare.com