Re: Drycleaning a boy's suit

Dear Joan and other colleagues who might be interested.

DRY CLEANING EXPERIENCE

Last year I had an 1880's boys suit dry cleaned by the most reputable dry
cleaner in Brisbane.  The suit was made of silk velvet and lined with
cotton.  Over time it had become extremely stiff in certain areas.

The suit was encased in between nylon net for the cleaning process.

 The dry  cleaner places such items in the dry cleaning machine, saturates
them with perch, and then rocks the internal barrel, rather than rotating
it as with new garments.

Instructions re enforced each time:  no spotting;  no charging of dry
cleaning fluid;  no pressing, minimum heat.

The appearance and handle of the fabric improved immensely, the smell
(probably urine) disappeared.

I steamed the suit prior to display.

I have used this cleaner for six years now and he has cleaned over a
hundred items for me on behalf of the Queensland Museum and private
clients. I usually carry out colourfastness tests prior to cleaning.

Cheers from down under
Michael M.

Michael Marendy
Textile Conservation Consultant