RE: Drycleaning a boy's suit

Spotting:  Get the most experienced spotter they have and talk to them about
how special the garment is.  Have any spotting chemicals tried on a seam
allowance if possible.  If an area is to be spotted the spotter may be able
to use the spotting chemical and turn the garment over so that when the
vacuum is applied to draw the chemical through the garment that the
chemicals aren't being pulled through all the layers, but are being drawn
from the side on which they were applied.  (This might not work but I would
try it.)  An experienced spotter should be able to tell you.
Any wet side chemicals may possibly dissolve

Drycleaning:  You might want to bag the garment in one of the large net
garment bags that drycleaners use for fragile items.  The concern about
stopping and starting the extraction is that it is much harder to rinse

Using a suzie:  If the presser is experienced they can manipulate the suzie
quite a big by not allowing the suzie to fill with steam.  Suggest to the
presser that it will be like using a suzie on a tiny woman's delicate
garment - and that you don't care if all the wrinkles come out.  The careful
use of a suzie will require much less handling in pressing that traditional
pressing.  You can't manipulate the temperature because you have to have the
temperature high enought for the steam.  A presser can time the steaming and
the vacuum.  If you don't want a vacuum used after the steaming I am sure
this can be done.

Please let us know how the cleaning comes out - and if the stains are
lightened.  We don't often have people share their drycleaning experiences -
other than saying a prayer when they go into the cleaners with a historic
garment!

Dr. Elizabeth Richards
Professor Emeritus, Department of Human Ecology
337 Human Ecology Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada
T6G 2N1
Phone:  780 - 492-9480  Fax:  780-492-4821