Re: rust removal

There are several methods of rust removal but the most efficient and effective methods require the use of chemicals that have hazardous properties (hazardous to fabrics if used improperly and hazardous to humans if used improperly). Given the litigious nature of American society and the lack of control over your readership's activities, I would suggest that you limit your advice to the use of commercially available preparations which already carry explicit warning labels and have been vetted by legal counsel. Antique fabrics, of course, are more complicated as the age of the fiber, the prior exposure, the chemical parameters, residual physical/mechanical properties of the yarn and weave, and the technology may be quite different from those of more recent fabrics. The International Fabricare Institute in Silver Spring, Maryland and the Neighborhood Drycleaners Assocation/New York School of Drycleaning in New York City, both provide stain removal courses for modern garments.

>>> jkip@xxxxxxxxx 06/07/00 12:37PM >>>
        I'm new to this group and need information on rust removal. I
write a vintage fabrics column and many persons ask me how to remove
rust spots which are severe as well as the tiny specks from old garments
for fabric.
        I have not been able to get answers from professionals in the
field.
        Fabrics in questions range from heirloom to those where storage
or long-term preservation is not necessarily the end goal (doll clothes
or children's clothes for example].
        There are several excellent commercial removers such as Carbona
but I have no idea the immediate or long-term effects of these products.

        Perhaps this group has some remedial suggestions.