rust removal

        I'm new to this group and need information on rust removal. I
write a vintage fabrics column and many persons ask me how to remove
rust spots which are severe as well as the tiny specks from old garments
for fabric.
        I have not been able to get answers from professionals in the
field.
        Fabrics in questions range from heirloom to those where storage
or long-term preservation is not necessarily the end goal (doll clothes
or children's clothes for example].
        There are several excellent commercial removers such as Carbona
but I have no idea the immediate or long-term effects of these products.

        Perhaps this group has some remedial suggestions.