Digital Database

The NC State University College of Textiles (USA) is planning to create a Digital Database for its collection of designs and textiles.

We would like to have some information concerning the way you're managing your database. This will help us evaluate our needs and facilitate our choices.

We would be glad if you could answer these questions:
What material do you use for imputing your data (ex: flat scanner, digital camera?) and in what conditions?
What database software do you use? Please list their advantages and disadvantages.
What is your database size?
Is it easily searchable?
What are your storage facilities? (server, CDroms...)

Thank you per advance for your help.

Adrienne Gehannin
College of Textiles
NC State University