fabric glue

I am not a conservator, but am just a lowly stitcher of needlepoint and other
hand-stitching techniques. This list has been very helpful to me in learning
about conservation practices, which is why I subscribed to it when I found it.
Thank you!

Now I have a question. On a piece of needlepoint, I'm considering using a punch
needle to do some areas of stitching, using wool, or silk and wool, yarn on a
handpainted #18 cotton mono canvas, but I am concerned about having to use glue
to stabilize the punchneedled yarns. I don't know if the fabric glues available
in craft and sewing stores will eventually damage any of the materials I'm
using, or if the glue will hold up over the years. I want this piece of
needlepoint to last. If anyone can recommend a specific type and brand of glue
that is safe to use on this project I would very much appreciate having the
information.

Thank you,

Nan Evelyn