[padg] RE: Water monitors

Greetings Lene:

There are a number of options for water detection, any of which can only make sense in relation to the specific application you have in mind.

In NLM’s offsite film storage vaults a sub-floor water detection system is hard-wired to a central guard station that is operational around the clock.

In our on-site film and tape storage vault and associated HVAC mechanical room there is a moisture detection cable – likewise connected to a central location where NIH campus building engineers are alerted to water intrusion into the space.  It also has an audible alarm that alerts staff who are working in the area.  We have floor-mounted detection devices in other mechanical rooms (wired to the building engineer panel).

Bathrooms are difficult to monitor – we have floor-mounted devices positioned near doorways, theoretically to detect a water build-up on its way out into collection storage areas.  The Library also wisely invested in the installation of floor drains in the bathrooms.  Some experts recommend placement of alarms in catch basins directly below sink water feeds (same strategy for drip pans in room air conditioners if you have those in offices adjacent to collection storage areas).

Battery operated alarms work if you remember to change the batteries.  Alarms that are wired to central monitoring systems provide the greatest degree of assurance, particularly if the alarm goes to a location where there is round-the-clock coverage.

Distribution and placement of water detection devices in large collection storage areas is best left to someone who has appropriate expertise.   Many devices and configurations are available.

Not as an endorsement, but by way of example, see the following:

            http://www.etracetek.com/gaftracetek/reliability.htm

            http://www.dorlenproducts.com/water.htm

            http://www.rletech.com/pdf/ldconfigguideweb.pdf

Hope this is helpful.