[padg] Water monitors

Hello all,

I've not seen much on PADG about water monitors during the last few years and would appreciate some input from others who have these devices or who are thinking of installing them.  George Mason University in Virginia does not have any, and we're thinking of installing a few.  The questions I have are the following:

  1. Are there any particular brands you would recommend?
  2. Do you recommend a hard wired device or a battery operated one?  Why would you recommend either?
  3. Does the placement of the room/area you want to monitor matter?  In other words, does it matter if the area is in the basement, on the first or upper floors?We've had both flooding on the floor from heavy downpours and instances of leaks from the roof or from pipes in the ceiling.
  4. Are there different devices that are more suited for one type of wetness than the other or is it the placement of the monitor that is the important consideration?
  5. What to look for in staff notification systems?
  6. What else to look for

Since we don't have any of these devices, there may be several other questions I've not thought to ask, so I'll appreciate any input or information you might give me.

If you respond directly to me I will summarize and report back to the list as I'm sure I'm not the only one to have these questions, and I've always valued the responses from others on various topics.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Lene Palmer
Collection Development and Preservation Librarian
Fenwick Library 2FL
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030