[padg] Re: Binding Music Scores

Karen,
The scores we bind in-house (single signature for score, parts fit into a pocket on a pam binder) go into pre-made pamphlet binders with a clear front (made of PETG). Until about ten years ago, our Music Library had student assistants sew scores into pam binders and then we moved the process to Preservation and began using stainless steel staples for most of this category. Before we made that switch, there was some concern that the stapled scores would not lie flat on a music stand as well as those that were sewn. To the best of my knowledge, the change did not draw complaints -- and Music Library staff did not think the benefits of sewing were enough to make it worth using their own student assistants' time for this activity again. When we were producing title labels for the front covers of binders with opaque covers we had some problems with getting info on the label correctly but we stopped making the title labels when we started using the clear front binders.

For scores that are not suitable for pamphlet binders, music cataloging staff take care of prep for commercial binding. I think this is partially to have the work done by people with music expertise but also a matter of workflow and tradition.

Andy

Andrew Hart
Preservation Librarian
CB#3910, Davis Library