[padg] Agenda: Intellectual Access Interest Group

Intellectual Access to Preservation Data Interest Group

ALA/ALCTS/PARS

2008 Annual Meeting, Anaheim

8-10am Saturday, June 28, 2008

208B Anaheim Convention Center

Co-Chairs:

Jonathan Thorn, Tyra Grant

Announcements & Business

Discussion: PARS restructuring proposal:  especially the proposal to establish a new Preservation Administration Interest Group that will include the previous Intellectual Access to Preservation Data Interest Group along with the PARS DG, & the Preservation Instruction, Education and Outreach DG.

Meeting Topic: Intellectual Access to Audio Preservation Data

I.  Reformatting Audio: generic project overview (Andrew Justice: Music Librarian for Audio and Digital Services, University of North Texas)

            Goals/Outcomes for a typical audio reformatting project(s)

                Planning considerations:  source formats, resources, access requirements.

                Workflow/planning outline: elements typical for audio reformatting project(s)

                Partners: for planning or operations

                Resources: Where to go for help? Who’s working on these projects now?

II. Metadata Decisions: Selection, Harvesting and Transmission (Preston Cabe: Database Administrator, Safe Sound Archive)

How to think about metadata for audio reformatting projects

What metadata do you need/want?  Everyone’s needs are different

Problems associated with audio preservation metadata

What we are currently doing about the problems

What we are doing to solve those problems

III. Standards and the future of Preservation Metadata for Audio (facilitator: Jonathan Thorn, Audio Preservation Engineer, Safe Sound Archive)

            What’s desirable and what’s possible

Current standard practices

                Where we’re currently not standardized but could benefit from standardization

                Stakeholders:  groups, individual organizations: experts, leaders or participants

                Goals, priorities and strategies

Intellectual access to audio preservation data---what do we want to accomplish?

What do audio reformatting projects do well (i.e., what have we figured out)?

                What’s being worked on? What challenges us?

                How might we work together to achieve progress and educate ourselves?

Ideas for ALA Midwinter 2009

            Management, preservation and access for metadata and audio files.

                Embedded Metadata in Digital Files

Intellectual Access 101: Cataloging and Intellectual Access to Preservation Data

                New developments.