[padg] ACRL session on Long term responses to library disasters at ALA

Some of you may be interested in attending the following:

The ACRL Western European Studies Section is pleased to announce the latest in its continuing series of conference presentations, “Topics in European Studies,” to be held at the ALA Annual Conference in Anaheim on Sunday, 29 June 2008 from 1:30-3:30  P.M. at the Hilton Anaheim Oceanside Room. This series gives conference participants the opportunity to present proposals or preliminary findings from research projects and to receive constructive feedback from colleagues. The event will appear in the ALA program schedule as the ACRL WESS Research and Planning Committee meeting.

The papers to be presented in Anaheim (with authors’ abstracts) are as follows:

"After the Deluge: Long-Term Responses to Library Disasters with Some Lessons for the Future" (Mark Peterson).

Libraries across the world are under threat from disaster and war. It is the responsibility of librarians and, more and more, governments and the international community to not only protect the world's collections but also to recover effectively when disaster does strike. This has proven to be very difficult. Not only are the efforts of saving materials very complicated, but getting funding and help organized often brings together very different groups and agencies. It does not help that books are often the last things on people's minds when they are dealing with the injured and with threatened infrastructure.

    In this paper, I will be discussing the responses to the Elbe flood of 2002 in Germany and the Czech Republic. This historic disaster caused tens of billions of dollars in damage in Central Europe, including the flooding of the basement of the Czech National Library. My focus is on the institutional efforts to save books and libraries. How effective were they and how have the efforts to recover from the disaster been going? My greatest interest is in the long-term efforts to bring things to normal by European countries, the aid that the rest of the world has provided, and what we can learn from this for the situation in other library disasters around the globe.

Other two papers are:

“A Good Ride?: The Views of Academic/Research Librarians with Subject Doctorates on the Workplace and Profession” (Thea Lindquist).

“Madmen, Hypocrites, and Degenerates: Readers and Their Books in the Late-Eighteenth-Century German Novel” (Kathleen Smith).

Nancy E. Kraft
University of Iowa Libraries
Preservation
100 Main Library