[padg] RE: outsourcing of shelf preparation/processing

All,

I'm also interested in answers to this question since I oversee shelf prep, too.  I've heard some comments about wanting to try shelf-ready services here again.  Several years ago we did a shelf-ready pilot project and tried to compare the costs between in-house and the vendor.  I don't have the figures handy, but I know that our in-house labeling costs per item were cheaper.  Also, at that time shelf-ready materials took 2 additional weeks to arrive from the vendor because of the extra processing on their end.  Since speedy acquisitions are important to some researchers, the extra lag time was a negative factor.  Also, there was only one label size available and the call numbers were printed much smaller than our users and the shelving staff prefer.  So, while cost is very important, there may be other service issues that are also important to the user population.

________

Sue Davis

Preservation Librarian

Vanderbilt University Library