[padg] book cradles for scanning and photography

We make our own cradles.  Here's a drawing of a simple scanning (and also paint consolidation) cradle:

The cradle is made of corrugated board or matboard, depending on the size.  We have small medium and large ones.   There’s a double thickness of board on the bottom to stay stiff in case we need to tip or transport the item while it is strapped in the cradle.  We use 2” wide polyethylene strapping to attach the vertical portion of the volume to the cradle, with Velcro loop on both ends of the strap that then attach to Velcro hook on the back side of the cradle.  We may also use 2” wide polyethylene strapping the horizontal pages below the page being scanned if necessary to keep the plane flat, and then 3/16” polyethylene strap to hold the page being scanned if necessary.  Polyethylene can be less shiny and less visually obtrusive than other strapping materials or weights.

Regards,

Priscilla

Priscilla Anderson, Collections Conservator

Baker Library Historical Collections, BL123

Harvard Business School

Boston, MA 02163

tel: 617.384.5293

fax: 617.495.5957