[padg] Saving publisher's covers?

Below I've tried to summarize the responses I received, & thanks to those
that responded!

-werner

Most of the responses made a facsimile of the entire book.  Color
facsimiles of the cover were then either bound in, or laminated or copied
onto the cover.

Some institutions tried to re-use the original covers.  However, the new
facsimile textblock was often too large/thick for the original cover, which
required the cover to be rebacked.  This was done by an in-house
conservation department, or by an outside company.

Now, my other question is, when the original cover is used to cover a
facsimile, does this need to be reflected in the bibliographic record
similarly to way microfilm is handled?  We’re trying to find out from our
cataloging department.  @ the Library of Congress, facsimiles were given a
new bibliographic record, but I’m not sure this is still the practice.

Others are striving to save the covers as a separate collection, but they
are uncataloged.  Some institutions box the entire original book after
reformatting, and others have transferred nicer publisher’s bindings to
their rare/special collections without reformatting.

Werner Haun
Collections Conservator
The New York Public Library
Barbara Goldsmith Preservation Division
11 W. 40th Street, Room 59
New York, NY  10018
phone (212) 930-0784 / fax (212) 302-5328
email Werner_Haun@xxxxxxxx