[padg] Saving publisher's covers?

As many of you probably do, we often have late 19th/early 20th century
books with extremely-brittle-falling-apart textblocks with nice publisher's
covers in need of some treatment.  We're considering having paper
facsimiles made of the textblock and treating the covers, & then casing in
the new textblocks into the original treated covers.  Has anyone else done
something similar?  Did you develop a set of criteria for this type of
treatment, or did you have any other special considerations?  Did your
binder handle the entire treatment?

thanks,
werner

Werner Haun
Collections Conservator
The New York Public Library
Barbara Goldsmith Preservation Division
11 W. 40th Street, Room 59
New York, NY  10018
phone (212) 930-0784 / fax (212) 302-5328
email Werner_Haun@xxxxxxxx