[padg] Request for comment on Definitions of Digital Preservation

During the American Library Association's Midwinter 2007 meetings, the
PARS executive committee charged a working group to draft a definition for
digital preservation that would be suitable for the needs of PARS and
suitable for use in a variety of communications. We hope that this work
will be of value to our colleagues across the digital preservation
community, and are asking for your responses to help us improve our work.

A weblog has been created to disseminate these draft definitions at:
http://blogs.ala.org/digipres.php

We invite you to review our work and offer feedback using the comments
section of the weblog. We'll be monitoring the comments and updating this
site to answer questions and propose refinements to our work before it is
passed on for final approval at the ALA's Annual Meeting in June 2007. If
you have any difficulties with the comments mechanism, you may also email
feedback to Jacob Nadal (jnadal@xxxxxxxx).

Direct links to the individual definitions follow:
* Short Definition:
http://blogs.ala.org/digipres.php?title=short_definition
* Medium Definition:
http://blogs.ala.org/digipres.php?title=medium_definition
* Long Definition: http://blogs.ala.org/digipres.php?title=long_definition

Thank you, and as always, apologies for cross posting.

Cathy Martyniak, University of Florida (Co-chair)
Jake Nadal, Preservation Field Service Librarian, New York Public Library
(Co-chair)
George Blood, Safe Sound Archives
Karen Brown, Preservation Librarian, SUNY Albany
Margaret Byrnes, Head, Preservation and Collection Management Section,
National Library of Medicine
Evelyn Frangakis, Chief Librarian for Preservation, New York Public
Library
Carla Montori, Preservation Librarian, University of Michigan
Sian Miekle, Digital Services Librarian, University of Toronto
Becky Ryder, Preservation Librarian, University of Kentucky