[PADG:1435] PADG: Encapsulation Survey

During the week of February 26- March 3, 2007, the University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM) Library Preservation Department conducted a symposium on disaster recovery and encapsulation. In 2004, the UHM Library sustained a flood after which many encapsulated maps were damaged. The symposium participants were Jeanne Drewes (Library of Congress), Bill Minter (Book Conservator), Marshall Oliver (Technical Director, Belfor Canada), Julie Page (University of California at San Diego), and UHM Library Preservation Department staff

Prior to the symposium Bill Minter sent out an informal survey on how institutions encapsulate maps and other documents. In his initial email Bill noted, that by looking “back at some of our work, we can assess where we have made a good decision and where we need to make some adjustments.” The responses have provided interesting insight into issues relating to encapsulation, and encapsulation/ deacidification.

The same survey is attached to this email, and we would appreciate your participation if you haven't already completed the survey.

The symposium participants will integrate the survey and the findings from the symposium into a report that will be shared with everyone. The goal of the report is to provide insight into current and practice, to propose research questions to further knowledge in the field relating to encapsulation.

Please complete the survey by April 30, 2007 and return to ldavis@xxxxxxxxxxx

Mahalo!
lynn

Lynn Ann Davis