[PADG:1434] Water filtration for conservation lab

Duke University Libraries is planning a new conservation lab and one of the issues we need to address with our architects is how to spec out the water filtration system. I'd appreciate advice from you all regarding:
-- merits of deionization vs reverse osmosis,
-- volume (gals/minute) to request for a large washing sink
-- degree of purity (see paragraph below--our architects' consultants tell us that getting 3 megohms resistance will be difficult; RO will give us 0.5 to 1.0 megohm resistance, putting in DI beds will give us up around 18 megohm)
-- issues of cost (initial purchase and ongoing maintenance)
-- ease of maintenance.

I've scouted the ConsDistList for information and have a 1994 exchange, which includes a recommendation not to go for greater purity than 3 megohms--too corrosive. I've also reviewed Season Tse's CCI publication on water quality. Unhappily, it is not prescriptive enough for me. So--I'm going public and would appreciate any thoughts or guidance you all can provide. I will summarize any off-list replies and post them.
Thank you,
Winston

Winston Atkins
Preservation Officer