[PADG:1403] Re: CoLibri Book Cover System

One of our special collections units has been using the CoLibri system successfully for a year or so. We purchased a second machine for general collections and started using it just a few weeks ago. The supervisor for the one in general collections said it is a little more time-consuming than we expected but she said it is too soon to tell how much that's because we're still getting used to it. It is also too soon for us to see first-hand how the covers hold up through circulation. The main comment so far from selectors and public service staff has been encouragement to use CoLibri on more books. For now, we are only using the covers on a few categories of materials in general collections:

Books we have in the past put into boxes just to save dust jackets with unusual characteristics.

Books that have titles in non-Roman characters on the jacket but nothing on the cloth spine.

Books that come through an expedited processing workflow for titles appearing in the NY Times Book Review and the Times Literary Supplement. These tend to be high-demand and go into a labeled section of the browsing shelves for new books. We're starting with this category in part because patrons like seeing jackets in browsing collections but also because the workflow makes selection very easy.

We'll consider using CoLibri more extensively once we have more experience with the system, a better sense of the labor cost, and more feedback from staff and patrons. In principle, I'd like to save covers very liberally because people like them, they are part of each publication, and often have information that is not repeated within the bound text. However, we'll have have to decide how much we can justify in the context of competing uses for staff time.

Andy
--
Andrew Hart
Preservation Librarian