[PADG:1249] Re: Protecting collections from accidental water leaks

Hi, Carol!

I found a few mentions in the list archives:

I'm thinking of a lightweight plastic that can be pleated and taped in
place on the top bar of our shelves, not interfering with the
suppresssion systems, and out of the way, but ready to be pulled down
for water emergencies , of which we've had several lately.

If the fire marshall doesn't go for it, an equivalent would be not to
edge shelve - keep the books back a few inches.  I'm already doing that
in out archives stacks, for water and bumping damage.

Susan Knoer
University Of Louisville
Special Collections

>>> "Carol Fink" <cfink2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/16/06 4:59 PM >>>
Some years ago, I remember hearing (at a workshop) about a hood that
could be attached to the top of stacks to deflect water from dripping
directly onto books. I've searched high and low but can not find an
illustration, or even a web doc or two, that even mentions this hood.
Has anyone heard of these hoods or can recommend what form of protection
to use - other than a plastic drape - for situations like this?

Apparently there was some reluctance on the part of the local fire
marshal to approve an attachment like this.  Either it could gouge
patrons reaching up to the top shelf and/or prevent the fire suppression
system from doing its job.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Carol Fink
Library of Michigan
Lansing
cfink2@xxxxxxxxxxxx