[PADG:1248] Re: Protecting collections from accidental water leaks

They are called "canopy tops" and are sold by all distributors of steel shelving. Anyone in shelving sales should be able to tell you about them. (If they can't, hang up!)
For an example, see http://www.gaylordmart.com/listing.asp?catid=116347&sid=B59BE7A43FD6438F9CA544E75D383D&level=2&L0=Shelving%20and%20Bookcases&L1=Shelving-%20Steel&L2=Canopy+Tops.
I've seen several installations using canopy tops, notably the Library of Virginia and Virginia Historical Society. At VCU, we had them installed in our off-site compact shelving. Let me know if you'd like me to send you a picture. The top is affixed to the highest part of the upright. Stated another way, it is above the highest shelf. Typical shelving is 90" high (7.5 feet) so it shouldn't interfere with patrons pulling materials from the top shelves. Sprinkler systems will be deflected from showering directly on top of books below. Instead the water will flow between and over the shelving. I would consider it a good investment.

Patricia Palmer Selinger Head, Preservation Department Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries

patricia.selinger@xxxxxxx
(ph)   804.828.1096
(fax)  804.828.0151

Carol Fink wrote:
Some years ago, I remember hearing (at a workshop) about a hood that
could be attached to the top of stacks to deflect water from dripping
directly onto books. I've searched high and low but can not find an
illustration, or even a web doc or two, that even mentions this hood.
Has anyone heard of these hoods or can recommend what form of protection
to use - other than a plastic drape - for situations like this?

Apparently there was some reluctance on the part of the local fire
marshal to approve an attachment like this. Either it could gouge
patrons reaching up to the top shelf and/or prevent the fire suppression
system from doing its job.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Carol Fink
Library of Michigan
Lansing
cfink2@xxxxxxxxxxxx