[PADG:1146] Re: Krylon "Make it Acid-Free"

Hi all,

I recently received a similar call from a member of the community who had found the Krylon "Make It Acid-Free" in a craft store and was interested in using it on her personal collection.  I found the MSDS online <http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=DBS&UPC=724504070283> and compared it with MSDS from Wei-T'o <http://talasonline.com/photos/msds/GoodNewsSpray111.pdf>  and info on the Bookkeeper's deacidification spray website <http://www.ptlp.com/faq.html>.  The Krylon spray lists "limestone" in the MSDS (calcium carbonate) as the alkaline agent while the Wei T'o spray contains magnesium carbonate and Bookkeeper's contains magnesium oxide.

Testing of the latter two products has been fairly well documented and both are accessible online through Talas, Gaylord, even Brodart and others -- while my ultimate recommendation was that she have her collection assessed by a local private conservator before any application of any home remedy, I did recommended that she should definitely not be an early adopter of the Krylon product.

Holly
Holly Robertson
Preservation Librarian
University of Virginia Libraries