[PADG:994] not just wet books...

All,

I know many of us have written disaster plans that outline what we should to do when there has been a fire and some books get wet or there is an outbreak of mold after a rainy weekend.  But how many of us have an 'emergency' plan that addresses what to do when there is a suspicious duffel bag left in the Lobby? Or mysterious white powder is found on the top of the circ desk one morning?  Or what if a employee who was recently let go comes into the staff lounge with a loaded weapon?  What happens if your network security is hacked and every computer in your systems becomes corrupted? How do staff in wheelchairs on 2nd floor and above get out of the building when the elevators are turned off in a fire situation?

Do you have such an 'emergency' plan at your Library?  Is your 'damaged library materials' plan (what we Preservation folk traditionally think of as a disaster plan) integrated with the 'emergency' plan?  Or are they separate?  Are you, as the Preservation Administrator, responsible for both?  If not you, who??  Possibly the Human Resources officer?

Any URL's or information you can provide would be most appreciated.  I will summarize for the list if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathleen L. Martyniak
Head, Preservation Department