[PADG:993] RE: Garbage cans

I will be out of the office and away from email until May 15, 2006.

Ann Seibert will be Acting Director, Preservation Programs.
Please contact her at 301-837-1567 or at ann.seibert@xxxxxxxx

If there is a records emergency, please contact NARA security at 301-837-2900.  Security will contact the Records Emergency (Beeper) Response Team.

-
Doris A. Hamburg
Director, Preservation Programs
National Archives and Records Administration

>>> padg 05/11/06 09:28 >>>

We have a "Food for Thought" food & drink counter in the Main Library. Our library has 5 floors - I walk around all 5 floors most days and haven't noticed any increase in litter or overflowing garbage cans since we opened the service a few years ago. Here's our policy. http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/admin/policy/fooddrink.html

The custodial staff added only a couple of the larger trash bins, ones that stand 30" in height and have a 10" x 20" opening..... The smaller receptacles are about 1/3 the size of the larger ones.....Maybe the key was there were a lot of trash containers (I mean lots) prior to the opening of the Café.  The intent is to empty every trash receptacle in the public areas on a daily basis.

Nancy E. Kraft
319/335-5286

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/ <http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/preservation/>