[PADG:698] Re: Campus mail book loan service

Much like Ohio State, UIUC has long supported a campus "mail option" for faculty, staff, and grad students with offices. Items are packed into unstapled, padded envelopes for delivery through campus mail. It is popular enough that it has been considered a sacred cow in terms of library budget cuts. The downside for the faculty is that it can be slow; on the other hand, they can order materials from the comfort of their offices.

The Library does retain the right (based upon the judgement of the individual retrieving items for delivery) to determine that an item is too fragile, too damaged, or too large for delivery. They requester is then notified that the item will be available for pick up at the Main Circulation Desk.

Tom Teper

Subject: [PADG:696] Campus mail book loan service
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:13:19 -0500
From: "Grant, Tyra" <tgrant@xxxxxx>
To: <padg@xxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-padg@xxxxxxx

I have learned our library is starting a Campus Loan Delivery service. Collections will be requested by patrons (only faculty and staff at the point, but we will probably be expanding), and delivered to their office on campus via campus mail.

I'd appreciate hearing of any other libraries providing such a service. What steps are you taking to protect collections and facilitate safe care & handling for items that will travel through campus mail?

Thanks,
Tyra Grant
Head, Preservation Department
University of Kansas Libraries
Phone: 785-864-8951

Head of Preservation University Library 246F Main Library University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 1408 West Gregory Drive Urbana, IL 61801

Telephone:      217-244-8755
Fax:            217-244-4358