[PADG:615] Re: cafes in Libraries

Hi,
  Yale is getting ready to start a major renovation of the Cross Campus Library, which is the below grade library that is linked to Sterling by a tunnel.  In the renovation plan there is a cafe that will serve coffee, etc and "light" snacks and sandwiches [pre-prepared food].  This had been in the works for a while but what I was very pleased about is that it is now at the far entrance to the library and is separated from the library proper by a glass wall and the guard station is on the other side of the glass wall making the statement that the library begins at that point, not the moment you walk down the stairs and into the building.  We will also, by the time the building re-opens with this new configuration, have 3 years of our new food & drink policy which does not allow food in the library.  It is restricted to approved areas--basically the cafe and a outside courtyard.  Finally, the elevator that will remove the food trash is at the end by the food and will not require that the trash be dragged through the library space.  This was a key concern for preservation.

  As to IPM, we are in the process of establishing a program.  Ask me in a year how it is.

Bobbie Pilette