From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Cathleen Mook
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 1:49 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:613] cafes in Libraries

          Hello,
The University of Florida is remodeling its main Library and adding a 60,000 sq ft North Wing.  There has been discussion that a cafe be included.  I was hoping to get some information from Preservation professionals on this list who have cafes in their Libraries.

1.  Number of years with cafe in place:

2.  Is there a guard stationed near the door into the Library itself, attempting to limit food from being brought from the cafe into the main facility?

3.  Have you seen an increase or decrease in the number of volumes forwarded to Conservation/Book repair with food or drink damage? Or did it stay the same?

4.  Does your Library use Integrated Pest Management or do you spray pesticides to control insects?

5.  What else do we need to keep in mind if a cafe is placed in the Library, especially during the first year?

Please email me your responses directly and if there is sufficient interest, I will summarize for the list.

Thanks,

Cathy Mook
Preservation Librarian
University of Florida
cmook@xxxxxxx

PS.  As I was sure we have discussed this topic on the list previously, I searched the ALA sponsored PADG archives using the word 'food'.  I got only 6 hits, none of which had anything to do with cafes.  I then tried a bunch of other food related terminology.  Again, limited success.  Has anyone got any advice for me re: using this particular resource?  Or do you have the same level of success I have when trying to gather data from the archives?