[PADG:150] FW: Microfiche as Hazardous Material

FYI  Other responses. Bob Schnare

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion of Government Document Issues
[mailto:GOVDOC-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Pavkov,Janine T
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 4:57 PM
To: GOVDOC-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Microfiche as Hazardous Material

Hello All,

I don't know if this helps but from Chapter 6, section 2 of the Federal
Depository Library Manual it states:

GPO produces and distributes diazo process microfiche, which are subject
to fading over time and should not be considered an archival document
storage medium. However, with proper care and storage, GPO microfiche
will have a long shelf life of 100 years or more.

It also mentions:

Never mix diazo, vesicular and silver halide microfiche in the same
drawers; preferably keep them in separate cabinets. Chemical reactions
between the various compositions may cause deterioration of the
microfiche.

It doesn't say how long they have been sending diazo process microfiche
but at least we know what type of fiche it is currently being
distributed.

Janine T. Pavkov
The University of Akron
Bierce Library
Reference Department--Document Processing
315 E. Buchtel Commons
Akron, Ohio  44325-1709

Email: janine1@xxxxxxxxxx
Voice:  330-972-8284