[PADG:134] Re: Climate Control Systems

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Mary Ellen Starmer wrote:

> We are also looking at lighting.  We currently have fluorescent bulbs
with no filters.  Obviously, we need filters, but my colleagues here have
asked about switching to incandescent bulbs.  Is there any reason we
should replace the fluorescent lights with incandescent?  Also, can anyone
recommend a good source for UV filters for fluorescent bulbs?

A significant reason not to use incandescent bulbs in your storage area is
heat. Especially if the volume of the storage space is small and/or the
lights will be left on for more than a few minutes, the incandescent bulbs
can contribute significantly to raising the temperature/lowering the RH in
a sealed storage environment.  Also, you might want to look at different
fluorescent tubes. Our library is now fitted with an energy-saving T-8
size tube that happens to have lower UV output than regular tubes. The
light is yellower than regular tubes, but that is not a problem in areas
where color perception is not critical.

One source for UV sleeves for fluorescent bulbs is:
Solar-Screen Co. Inc.
53-11 105th Street
Corona, New York 11368
866-230-4700
http://www.solar-screen.com/

Shannon Zachary, Head, Conservation Services
Preservation Division, University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048
Phone: 734/763-6980 Fax: 734/763-7886