[PADG:2366] FW: Help on Fume Hood Vendors

This is a question from someone who is not on the list.  I have already
pointed Jacque to the list archives.  If you have any added advice on
fume hood specifications, please respond and I can forward them to her,
or you may reply directly to her at jsund@xxxxxxxx

Forwarded Query:

We are in the midst of planning a new building in which I hope to have a
small "lab" area to conduct simple preservation work, in particular
being able to do spray deacidification.  Our architects need to know
what I might need in the way of the fume hood, and since I've just used
one already in place (in a past employment) and haven't had to deal with
ordering one, I hoped you might be able to assist me.  Of course, they
need this information ASAP and I need help from someone in the know!!

I had a short email with a person (Toddy Glaser) at NEDCC who told me
they had theirs custom built, but to have the air evacuated at the
bottom of the back, rather than the top.  It should have the curtain of
air pulled from the front (sash) to the back at a rate of at least 100
linear feet per minute.  The air flow can then be regulated by adjusting
the sash height in front.  Probably a fume hood that is 48" wide seems
the right size, from what I've seen in some online catalogs.

Anything you might add to the above, know of any "standards" to follow,
or vendors you know about? (So far I've "Googled" for fume hoods.)  I'd
most likely be using it with Wei'To spray, and possibly with acetone for
some scotch tape removal, but nothing else in the chemical area.

Thanks!  (And sorry for the rush!!)

Jacque Sundstrand

_____________________________
Jacquelyn Sundstrand
Manuscripts & Archives Librarian
Special Collections Dept.
University Library/322
University of Nevada
Reno, NV  89557-0044
Phone: 775/784-6500 x314 (direct)
       775/784-6500 x327 (office)
Email: jsund@xxxxxxx
<www.library.unr.edu>

Thanks,
Tina
Tina Mason, Education Officer
SOLINET, Preservation Services
1438 West Peachtree St. NW Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309-2955
Tel: 800.999.8558 x4894	    Fax: 404.892.7879