[PADG:2237] Abbey Newsletter guest editorships

Hi,
  Some of you may have heard the announcements at ALA regarding the Abbey Newsletter.  We are looking for some folks to serve as guest editors for issues of Vol.27/2004 of the Abbey Newsletter.

  There are 6 issues to put out this year.  Three issues already are "claimed" but we are looking for 3 more guest editors.  We need editors for the March/April issue, May/June, and Sept/October.

  Below is the information I handed out at ALA PARS meetings, but if anyone has questions, please do not hesitate to call Ellen McCrady or me.  My info is at the bottom of the page.  Obviously, the March/April issue is critical at this point.  Ellen is happy to help but just does not feel she can pull the whole issue together herself.

Thanks.

-----------------
The Abbey Newsletter is looking for guest editors to put out issues for Volume 27 (2004).  If you are interested, please contact Ellen McCrady at Abbey Publications abbeypub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or phone 512-929-3992.

Key Responsibilities of the Guest Editor:
1. Accept responsibility to serve as the editor of one edition or number of Volume 27 of the Abbey Newsletter.
2. Coordinate all aspects of selection of the overall theme, number and types of articles, and lay-up of that number of Volume 27, and provide photo-ready copy to the central office.
3. Comply with the restriction of an eight-page format, unless a larger format is approved in writing by the central office.
4. Provide all design, staffing and logistical support for the responsibilities outlined in number 2 above.
5. Meet all deadlines established in conjunction with the central office.

Q. What will the guest editor receive in return for his or her efforts?
A. The guest editor will be listed as such in that number of Volume 27, and will also have the opportunity to acknowledge the assistance of those others on his or her team, the assistance of the sponsoring institution or organization, etc.

Q. Will any funds be available to the guest editor for the responsibilities in number 2. above?
A. No.  Abbey Publications regrets that there are insufficient funds available to provide such funding.

Q. Will the guest editor or his/her institution have to print and mail that number of Volume 27?
A. No.  Photo ready copy will be provided to the central office by the 15th of the second month for the issue (i.e. Aug 15 for Jul/Aug).  The central office will be responsible for the printing and mailing of that number.

Q. Is the guest editor bound by the previous format of the newsletter?
A. No, with the exception that the newsletter must use the current masthead, and contain appropriate mailing information as required by law.

Q. What numbers are available during 2004?
A.  The January/February, July/August and Nov/Dec issues have been assigned.  Four other numbers remain available in 2004:  March/April; May/June; and September/October.

Q. Can a guest editor sign up for more than one number?
A. Yes

Q. What will happen to the Abbey Newsletter after Volume 27?
A. During 2004, the Board of Directors will conduct a search for a new permanent home for the Abbey Newsletter.  The Board is confident that this can be accomplished, and that the Abbey Newsletter will continue into the future

Bobbie Pilette
Preservation Department
Yale University Library
130 Wall Street