[PADG:2238] Marking of Rare Materials

Hello everyone,

I have cross-posted to ExLibris as well; please excuse duplication.

We are currently contemplating some possible changes to our policies
for marking rare materials here in RBSC at Northern Illinois University.
 I've gone through the ExLibris archive, a bit of ConDistList as well,
and have taken a look at the RBMS guidelines, and all that I've
determined thus far is that many people feel that things should be
marked *somehow*, but preferably in a way that doesn't mar the value or
aesthetics of the item-- if it must be marked at all.  At this point,
though, the most recent postings that I found were from 1998.

And so, it's straw poll time.  If you are willing to share your
experiences, please do so, in terms of methods of marking that worked
well for you, or went horribly wrong.  I'm particularly interested in
experiences with microstamping/microembossing, as well as "MICROTAGGANT
Identification Particles," to supplement the experiences with various
and sundry inks and stamps that I've seen already.

If you're willing to share with all, please post to the list.
Otherwise, please feel free to reply to me privately, at
lmthomas@xxxxxxx

As always, I am grateful for your insights and assistance. :)

--Lynne

Lynne M. Thomas
Rare Books and Special Collections Librarian
Founders Memorial Library 402A
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
(815) 753-0255; fax: (815) 753-9803