From: Tom Teper [mailto:tteper@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 11:26 AM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:2229] Fire Suppression in Hanging Stacks

All:

UIUC is in the very early stages of planning for the installation of
sprinklers throughout non-sprinkled portions of our stacks. The first
portion of this space was built in 1927 and the last was completed in
the
mid-1960s. Although its exact form differs throughout the additions, all
of
the shelving is of the hanging, open stack variety. Ceilings are so low
in
some areas that light bulbs present a hazard, so there is concern about
creating another series of head-knockers throughout the space.
Additionally, there is some early concern about the possibility of
requiring pipes and sprinkler heads that run down the length of every
aisle
in order to get adequate coverage in the event of a fire.

I would be interested in hearing from others with (1) active or passive
involvement in the planning or designing of sprinkler systems and
renovations including sprinklers for this type of space, (2) experience
at
institutions with sprinklers in this type of space, or (3) experience
with
disasters in sprinkled, open stacks that could help inform our planning.

Information received on or off list will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom Teper

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL      61801

Telephone:      217-244-8755
Fax:            217-244-4358

----

"Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ."