From: Tom Teper [mailto:tteper@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 11:26 AM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:2229] Fire Suppression in Hanging Stacks

All:

UIUC is in the very early stages of planning for the installation of sprinklers throughout non-sprinkled portions of our stacks. The first portion of this space was built in 1927 and the last was completed in
the mid-1960s. Although its exact form differs throughout the additions, all
of the shelving is of the hanging, open stack variety. Ceilings are so low
in some areas that light bulbs present a hazard, so there is concern about creating another series of head-knockers throughout the space. Additionally, there is some early concern about the possibility of requiring pipes and sprinkler heads that run down the length of every
aisle in order to get adequate coverage in the event of a fire.

I would be interested in hearing from others with (1) active or passive involvement in the planning or designing of sprinkler systems and renovations including sprinklers for this type of space, (2) experience
at institutions with sprinklers in this type of space, or (3) experience
with disasters in sprinkled, open stacks that could help inform our planning.

Information received on or off list will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tom Teper

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL      61801

Telephone:      217-244-8755
Fax:            217-244-4358

----

"Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ."

--

Patricia Palmer Selinger
Head, Preservation Department

Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries
Box 842033
901 Park Avenue
Richmond, VA  23284-2033
patricia.selinger@xxxxxxx