[PADG:2162] RE: Microfilm Reel Tags

Zeta Products, Inc.
1060 Garden State Road
Union, NJ  07083
Tel. 800/688-0221

As for the Velcro ties, which they really are not, they are really "bands",
it is important to know that each band is cut to fit the diameter of the
reel in hand.  In other words, each band is specific to it's film.  So if
you use this product you will need label the band to ensure that if it gets
separated from it's film you can put the two back together again.  When the
length of the tie is generic this is not a problem -- any tie will do.  For
a public use area it is very common for the bands/ties to be cast aside by
patrons, so this is a real issue.  Labeling by hand, in pencil, may not be a
reasonable option.  It is likely that you will need to resort to the use of
pressure-sensitive labels if you manage a busy microfilm collection.

So, with the Velcro product you will have pressure-sensitive adhesive on the
Velcro band, and most likely the ink/adhesive from labels, to add to your
preservation equation.  On the up side, at least fewer reels would be
re-shelved without their ties.  However, although old-fashioned, and not
nearly as much fun as ripping Velcro apart, I still vote for the button &
string ties.

I hope this is helpful -

Karen Brown/Preservation Librarian
University at Albany Libraries

>>> lenocker@xxxxxxxxxxx 11/05/03 12:08PM >>>
I am sending along a statement from one of my technicians who has to deal
with microfilm reel wraps.  Here is a bit more background on this.  Our
regular supplier had been GAYLORD BROTHERS and they no longer carry the
button & string reel wraps and are substituting the Velcro closures instead.

I placed an order with UNIVERSITY PRODUCTS for the button and sting type
and they are on back order.  My fear is that maybe they are no longer being
made.  So any help I could get on where to find the button and string type
of reel wraps would be greatly appreciated.

Carol Lenocker
Materials Processing &
Conservation Supervisor
UO Knight Library