[PADG:2026] Re: Suddenly Seeking Substance

ARL distributed a pamphlet titled "Preserving Research Collections: a collaboration
between librarians and scholars" in 1999.  The text is by Jutta Reed-Scott
and the publication was co-published by ARL, the Modern Language Association,
and the American Historical Association on behalf of the Task Force on the
Preservation of the Artifact.  It's a good overview of key issues in preservation,
makes a case for funding, and feels less disposable than photocopied articles.
It might be worth checking with ARL to see it is still available.
Andy
 Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
 CB#3910, Davis Library
 Chapel Hill, NC 27514
 tel: (919) 962-8047
 fax: (919) 962-4450
 email: ashart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

S. Tyra Grant wrote:
 cite=""> These
Board Members will receive a packet of printed materials mailed prior to
the meeting date.  I can submit a maximum of 8 (but preferably 5 or 6) pages-worth
on the subjects of preservation and digital/preservation.  The meeting will
be a one-day event of small group discussions on a few topics, one being
preservation.   The meeting will influence their future interests and direction
as a board.   I'm inclined to think less nuts & bolts detail   ----more
broad scope and aiming at people looking to investing in the future.  I want
them to enjoy their reading and make it to the end.  I have a few candidates
that will do---but I'd love to find better.
 Thanks for the ideas---I'll continue to watch for more.
 Tyra Grant